[tomboy-list] Getting Tomboy Back On Track

Sandy Armstrong sanfordarmstrong at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:54:49 PDT 2008

Hi Everybody,

If you scan bugzilla and look at the NEWS file for Tomboy 0.12.0, you'll
see that although there is plenty of work to do on Tomboy, we haven't
been doing a lot.  A lot of bugs have been ignored, and a lot of great
new patches have gone unreviewed, mostly because I have been disengaged
from the community for the last 6 months or so.

This sucks, I'm sorry, and it's time to fix it.

I have a few ideas for how to do this, and I'd love to hear everybody
else's ideas, too.  Here are my thoughts:

1) We need to get a handle on bugzilla.  We need to power through our
292 bugs (!!!) and find which are dupes, which are enhancements that
should be marked WONTFIX, and which need to be fixed NOW.  I know
everybody has their favorite bugs, so if you could share yours that
would really help.  We should centralize this info on
http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Bugs/WorstOffenders , but if you don't have
an account on l.g.o feel free to respond to this email with your picks.
It would be awesome to know the top 20 (or whatever) bugs hated by the
community when this is done.  ;-)

2) Related to the above, we need to do some serious patch review.  We
need to find all patches, find out which are ready to go in, which need
minor fixes, and which are totally obsolete.  Please respond to this
email with a list of outstanding patches that matter to you.  We'll get
the bugs on the wiki and start on the review process.

The Banshee mailing list has a "Pending Patches Periodical" email run by
Bertrand Lorentz that really helps the maintainers keep track of good
patches ready to commit or in need of just a little review.  I would
love to see something like this for Tomboy, if anybody has the time.

Here are *my* personal goals for Tomboy 0.14.0 (or is it 1.0?):

* Slaughter memory consumption and performance issues.
* Deliver a solid build of Tomboy on Windows with an easy-to-maintain
installer.  Make sure the Visual Studio solution is well-maintained to
enable new contributors.
* Fix long-standing embarrassing bugs (like note renaming issues).
* Make sync rock, and consider integration with Conduit if that makes
sense.  Make sure there is an answer for sync on Windows, to enable
users to sync between their work and home machines.
* Enable our awesome contributors to work on fixes and features without
fear of their patches rotting in bugzilla!

New feature work in areas like note attachments, inline images, and
collaboration would be great, too...but my personal focus is going to
remain on the above issues, especially the last one.

I hope that by getting more feedback from the community on outstanding
bugs and patches, we can prioritize our efforts and have a productive
release cycle.

I would like to start holding bug days or patch review days every other
week.  What does everybody think about that?  Two weekend days per month
would work best for me, but I want to know what would work best for
YOU!  Getting together and triaging bugs, trying out patches, and
cleaning up Tomboy seems like a big win to me.

We'll be having a dev meeting soon to figure out our roadmap for 0.14.0,
too.  I think it would be helpful to get all of this information first,
though.  As usual, everybody will be invited to participate in the
meeting.  :-)

Thanks for your time.  I'm looking forward to an awesome
community-driven cycle.  If you have any ideas for how to make this
cycle rock, now's the time to speak up!

Sandy