[tomboy-list] Getting Tomboy Back On Track

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:52:57 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Sandy Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong at gmail.com
> wrote:

> If you scan bugzilla and look at the NEWS file for Tomboy 0.12.0, you'll
> see that although there is plenty of work to do on Tomboy, we haven't
> been doing a lot.  A lot of bugs have been ignored, and a lot of great
> new patches have gone unreviewed, mostly because I have been disengaged
> from the community for the last 6 months or so.

I'm sorry I missed this originally; just caught your update.

> 1) We need to get a handle on bugzilla.  We need to power through our
> 292 bugs (!!!) and find which are dupes, which are enhancements that
> should be marked WONTFIX, and which need to be fixed NOW.  I know
> everybody has their favorite bugs, so if you could share yours that
> would really help.  We should centralize this info on
> http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Bugs/WorstOffenders , but if you don't have
> an account on l.g.o feel free to respond to this email with your picks.
> It would be awesome to know the top 20 (or whatever) bugs hated by the
> community when this is done.  ;-)

I've just subscribed myself to all bugmail, so I'll generally keep up with
things as they come in, but it may be a little while before I get around to
going back and looking through all the past bugs.

(I'm just in a situation where I can adequately test synchronization—both
computers now running 0.12.0—and assuming that's fixed, I'll be pretty much
set. :) That one has been quite annoying.)

> 2) Related to the above, we need to do some serious patch review.  We
> need to find all patches, find out which are ready to go in, which need
> minor fixes, and which are totally obsolete.  Please respond to this
> email with a list of outstanding patches that matter to you.

I can do that. Is it safe to say I can mark patches as "reviewed" like a few
of us do for Banshee? That seems to gather them together to say "they work
as described" and then a developer can take a look at them for
code/style/etc. issues.

> * Make sync rock, and consider integration with Conduit if that makes
> sense.  Make sure there is an answer for sync on Windows, to enable
> users to sync between their work and home machines.

This would be awesome, and I'm willing to do some testing and whatnot
between Windows and Linux machines.

> * Enable our awesome contributors to work on fixes and features without
> fear of their patches rotting in bugzilla!

For my part, I'm on this.

I would like to start holding bug days or patch review days every other
> week.  What does everybody think about that?  Two weekend days per month
> would work best for me, but I want to know what would work best for
> YOU!  Getting together and triaging bugs, trying out patches, and
> cleaning up Tomboy seems like a big win to me.

I can't commit to that, though I'd be willing to show up if time permits, so
please announce about a week ahead of time. :) Nights and weekends would be
best, but that's just me.

If you have any ideas for how to make this
> cycle rock, now's the time to speak up!

In general, as far as the bugs go, I don't know that I'll be spending any
time on the wiki; I prefer to manage them in Bugzilla. Is managing bugs on
the wiki useful to you? If so, can you describe sorta what you'd like to
see?

--
Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net