[tomboy-list] Getting Tomboy Back On Track

Sandy Armstrong sanfordarmstrong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:20:16 PDT 2008

Olivier Bilodeau wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Sandy Armstrong
> <sanfordarmstrong at gmail.com <mailto:sanfordarmstrong at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>

> * Deliver a solid build of Tomboy on Windows with an easy-to-maintain
>  installer.  Make sure the Visual Studio solution is well-maintained
> to enable new contributors.
>

> I would be interested in providing testing help for this goal. My job
> forces on me an OS and I would be delighted to have tomboy running on
> that (and syncing!).

That's great!  Not being much of a Windows user these days, I don't know
if there is anything like FUSE available on that platform.  But if a
user can manager their own remote mounts, I'm sure we can at least get
the file system sync backend working.

> As far as an installer is concerned, is there something shaping up
> already or are you in an investigation stage? Because I did an NSIS
> installer [http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page] in the past and I
> think it would do the job without much effort. But maybe I'm wrong
> and there is something more tailored to Mono (.Net) applications
> around.

An installer is something the entire Mono community could use help
with.  It is a big open question right now for apps like Tomboy and
Banshee.  We just don't know (because we're Linux people) how to do
things like check for the right version of gtk# being installed, and how
to get that to the user most conveniently.  Ideally, when running a
Tomboy install, the user could just click to download/install gtk# if
they don't already have it, and it would just appear to be part of the
regular install process (instead of the user manually doing stuff
separately).

So yeah, we could use help.  I don't care if our first installer just
errors-out if gtk# isn't there, but it would be great if we could help
develop an infrastructure that could be used by other projects (like
Banshee) that want an installer on Windows and don't want to start from
scratch.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,
Sandy