[tomboy-list] C clone of Tomboy for Maemo

Cornelius Hald hald at icandy.de
Tue Mar 24 03:13:33 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm currently writing a Tomboy clone in C, targeting the embedded
Maemo[1] platform. The reason is, that I want the great Tomboy
functionality on my internet tablet (Nokia N810). I really would love to
use the original Tomboy-Maemo[2] port, but unfortunately the startup
time is too long (about 15 seconds) and the memory consumption of mono
is too high for having it always run in the background. This device has
only 128 MB Ram...

The project is far from finished, but it is already possible to read,
write and display notes which are compatible with Tomboy 0.12.0 from my
desktop machine.

I hope to be able to make a first release at the end of this week, but
first I have some questions, where you hopefully can help me with:

1) Is there a description of the Tomboy XML format? The link to the
XML-Namespace seems to be dead. I'm asking because I want to make sure
to be compatible with Tomboy. So far I have only a reverse engineered
version and maybe I missed some tags etc...

2) Is the "version" attribute of <note> actively maintained? So is there
some document that describes the XML formats of old versions? And which
version of Tomboy was using which version of the XML file? Version
0.12.0 on my desktop creates version="0.3" documents.

3) I have to choose a name and I came up with "Conboy". C because of the
programming language and the rest has something to do with my name
(*cough*) and with Tomboy of course... As this name is very close to the
name "Tomboy" I thought I should get your OK on that. As I'm not very
creative with names other suggestions are welcome too.

4) Are there other things I should be aware of? Especially concerning
the file format?

Any input is highly welcome :)
Cheers!
Conny